Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Drought

Of course I'd forgotten about the hosepipe ban. There I was happily watering all the cabbages and turnips, and some strange Italian green vegetable whose name I don't know but tastes very nice, when I was promptly reminded of the water shortage - thought it was only a problem in the South-East? And if there is a drought can someone explain to me why our back garden is still like a swamp?

All of a sudden the books have dried up. We've had no books for about ten days now, and I'm beginning to feel a bit bereft each morning when I pick up the post. It won't last long of course - soon we'll be drowning under the weight of books sent to us for each writer we have programmed. However, to keep me sane until the office book drought ends the lovely people at Transmission have sent me a copy of their latest issue, which I had a quick flick through this morning, and am looking forward to taking home with me tonight. If you haven't had a chance to read this magazine yet, buy one immediately.

Having seen it praised so much in various places, particularly Bookworld, when I saw a copy of Pinkerton's Sister by Peter Rushforth, looking lonely in Waterstone's one day I decided to liberate it. I began reading it last night, and am enjoying it - although I've only read five pages so that could all change!

No comments: