Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Digesting the Booker

I know I know, everybody is talking about it and its beginning to get boring.... So I'll be brief.
Of the big publishing houses:

With 5 titles from 4 imprints Random House dominates.

Peguin has 4 titles from 2 imprints.

Pan Macmillan has 2 titles from it imprint Picador (who published last year's winner).

Hodder has 1 title with imprint Sceptre.

Little Brown has 1 title with imprint Virago.

Of the Independent Publishers:

Faber & Faber, Cannongate and Bloomsbury have 2 titles each.

With the shortlist just eight days away I dare say the judges are in for another epic debate on what stays and what goes. My personal shortlist keeps changing, but today is: Seven Lies by James Lasdun, The Testement of Gideon Mack by James Robertson, Carry Me Down by M.J. Hyland, So Many Ways to begin by Jon McGregor, The Secret River by Kate Grenville, The Night Watch by Sarah Waters.

This of course will have changed by tomorrow. Except for Lasdun who has stayed on all my shortlists....

No comments: